RE: cygwin-gcc-fopen bug?

  Your code has a bug: a stray pointer or array overwrite that is trashing some
memory.  The only reason you get away with it on Solaris is by sheer luck;
either the stack or heap layout is different, or the random uninitialised
contents of a variable point somewhere harmless or something like that.

  Since you can see a NUL (heh, NULL != NUL you know!) appearing in the middle
of the name string, you could always set a gdb watchpoint on it to see exactly
when it gets stomped and what instruction is doing it.

    cheers,
      DaveK