Re: cygwin-gcc-fopen bug? (Purify, valgrind)

Jim Kleckner wrote:

Dave Korn wrote:
Maybe we should try and port the free open-source equivalent valgrind
(http://valgrind.kde.org/) instead? I haven't ever looked at this, but it ought
to be possible. I note that you can use (a special variant version of) valgrind
to verify win32 apps running on WINE. So I guess there's a long-way-round to do
that already....

Interesting tool and it looks promising.
Without careful feature comparison, I can't be
sure, but I'll bet there are significant checks
that Purify does (if OCI is enabled) that Valgrind
does not do.

FWIW, these folks have done a detailed comparison: http://tinyurl.com/4un5g http://www.cs.wm.edu/~coppit/csci780-fall2003/final-papers/hewett-dipalma.pdf

Valgrind does indeed look competitive, although
the authors weren't too explicit about what
types of errors were found by one and not
the other.

Now, I wonder how hard it is to port...

Jim