RE: Cygwin setup on dialup (newbie)

At Sunday, December 12, 2004 2:00 AM, Steve T wrote:
> Just a question regarding the behaviour of setup.exe.
>
> I selected the download to local directory option. I'm trying to
> download all binary packages. I'm on dialup, so of course the
> connection drops out sometimes (I think the session limit is 24
> hours). Of course, setup needs a lot more time than that. My question
> is this: Will setup.exe automatically skip over anything that has
> already been downloaded (but not installed)?
>
> I'm wondering because I was up to 40%. Setup.exe seems to hang on
> disconnection. Upon reconnection, it doesn't seem to be trying to do
> anything, so I just close setup and start again. When I start again,
> the progress is shown as 0%. I'm not sure whether this is 0% of
> everything I want to install or 0% of the files that haven't been
> downloaded yet.
>
> Does changing mirrors affect anything?
>
> Thanks.
> - Steve

At home I have dialup.  I've found that setup sometimes has problems on very
long downloads.  (I do not know whether this is a setup or connection
problem.  But the same download over a high speed connection at work does
not have problems.)  I've taken to not downloading too much at once.  That
seems to avoid problems.  And if something hangs at the end, I've only lost
and hour or so -- not 24 hours.