Re: "Hyperthreading" problems

At 04:08 PM 1/1/2005, you wrote:
>Brian Bruns wrote:
>>
>><rant>
>>I think you really really really need to reevaluate what you say
>>before you hit send.
>>
>>The open source/free software developers that I communicate with/work
>>with wrote the stuff they did because they needed an
>>application/library/script for a specific need, and decided to release
>>the software to the public in the hope that someone else might find it
>>useful, and the hope that other people might contribute back.
>>

>That's exactly my point: what I was trying to say is that Cygwin wants and deserves to be more than a project developped for a specific need and released to the public "as is". An to be more than that, it needs to have an active "technical support", that cannot expect users to fix bugs by themselves.

<snip>

>In fact, Cygwin *does* sell licenses: http://www.redhat.com/software/cygwin/ .

Ah good.  So you have seen that there is already at least one response to
your assertion above.  Obviously, if one expects to be able to demand action
on a particular issue, one has to have "bought" such a right.  The link you
provide above is one method of buying the right to demand.  I expect there
are others folks on this list that would entertain the notion of fixing
problems for compensation too, so that's another option for anyone
interested.  I don't think anyone here would argue that there isn't some need
for such fee-based support avenues.  And you can see by the link you provide
that Red Hat is one such avenue.  The thing to remember is that this list is
not a fee-based services, which has it's benefits and it's detriments.  One
detriment is there's really no leverage that a user has to demand support.
But one can ask. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746