This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: "od" wrong line endings and byte count
- From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
- To: 'Cygwin List' <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:34:03 -0800
- Subject: Re: "od" wrong line endings and byte count
- Organization: My own little world...
- References: <md5:D42EEB8CEB984E746A145DFAC65B6B03>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
David Christensen wrote:
> When I create a file using notepad:
> This is a text file created with Notepad.
> It has DOS (CRLF) line endings.
> Look at it using "wc":
> dpchrist@p42800e:~$ wc textfile.txt
> 2 14 76 textfile.txt
> And then look at it with Cygwin "od", I see:
There is nothing wrong here. You installed cygwin with text mode
C:\cygwin / system textmode
C:\cygwin/bin /usr/bin system textmode
C:\cygwin/lib /usr/lib system textmode
. /cygdrive system textmode,cygdrive
This means that when a cygwin program reads a file with CRLF endings it
is translated to LF line endings that all unix tools expect. You want
binary mounts if this is not what you desire. See the FAQ for more
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html