Re: check_case:adjust still an option?

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 04:33:01PM -0500, "Pierre A. Humblet" wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 12:32:21PM -0800, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> > /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc-1.3/html/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html says:
> >
> >    check_case:level - Controls the behaviour of Cygwin when a user
> > tries to open or create a file using a case different from the case of
> > the path as asved on the disk. level is one of relaxed, adjust and
> > strict.
> >    adjust behaves mostly invisible. The POSIX input path is internally
> > adjusted in case, so that the resulting DOS path uses the correct case
> > throughout. You can see the result when changing the directory using a
> > wrong case and calling /bin/pwd afterwards.
> >
> > but I'm not seeing any difference between adjust and relaxed; is adjust
> > still a valid option?
>
> Sure, but not as visibly as documented above. For example under sh
> $: cd c:/HoME/PiErRe
> $: /bin/pwd
> /c/HoME/Pierre
>
> I has a look at the code and it is the Windows path that is adjusted,
> not the Posix path. I think it was always like that.
> In the case of chdir, the change in the Posix path was a result of former
> transformations of the Windows path back to Posix form. Those can cause
> trouble when several Posix paths point to the same Windows path (the mapping
> Posix -- Windows is not bijective). In particular the final text/binary mode
> need not be as expected, and this caused complaints.

So you can expect it to "work" only outside of any mount point?

It doesn't seem to do this for me (using 20050101 snapshot):

$ CYGWIN="$CYGWIN check_case:adjust " bash
$ echo $CYGWIN
tty ntsec title server check_case:adjust
$ cd c:/SeTuP/CyGwIn
$ /bin/pwd
/cygdrive/c/SeTuP/CyGwIn
$ ls -d c:/?e?u?/?y?w?n
c:/setup/cygwin

I'm afraid I'm not curious enough about this to try older versions
at the moment.  cygcheck output attached in case you are interested.