openssh sshd slow logins

hi,

i'm having a problem where my cygwin openssh sshd logins are slow.  i am
  using rsa key autologins.  only a certain portion of the login is
slow.
  when i do a "ssh -x <user>@<cygwinmachine>" from my linux box, the
  authentication is immediately successful (the motd prints out
  immediately), but then it takes about 5 seconds for the shell to
appear.
  I know that the shell is not slow in starting up, because in
/etc/passwd
  i've replaced the shell with the "date" command , and that takes an
  equally slow amount of time to get from the motd to the shell program
  execution.

    -- i've added the option "UseDNS no" to the sshd_config file, to
avoid
       reverse dns lookups.

    -- "sshd" is setup as an XP service, with access to the desktop

    -- "ssh -vvv user@machine" doesn't show anything wrong.  it is
virtually
       instantaneous until after printing the motd.

    -- rsa key logins to a linux box on the same segment as the windows
       give me an instantaneous shell.

  the last thread i saw about sshd logins being slow was dated in 2001,
and
  those were resolved by disabling the reverse dns lookups (which i've
  done).

  Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks!

-dave
dave at arubanetworks dot com