This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Renaming Cygwin DLLs
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:52:23 -0500
- Subject: Re: Renaming Cygwin DLLs
- References: <BAY101-F2345C628A02D0C59A0B553EC920@phx.gbl>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 03:58:39PM -0600, Mike Disbrow wrote:
>I'd like to build the supporting Cygwin DLLs to be renamed to something
>other than cyg*.dll (e.g. cygwin1.dll to foo.dll), what is the best
>way to build the DLLs with different names?
May I ask why you want to do this? I can't think of any valid reason to
rename the DLL which would not involve trying to mask the existence of
Cygwin. And, I can't think of any reason for doing that which does not
involve either bypassing Cygwin's GPL or trying to take credit for a DLL
which you didn't develop.
I could conceive of someone wanting to do this because they'd think that
by so doing they'd allow two versions of cygwin to exist on a system
at the same time but since it isn't quite that simple, this isn't
a valid reason for renaming the DLL.
So, please enlighten me.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html