Re: Obscene content in cygwin file.

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:25:42PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>NB: Did anybody read "Fahrenheit 451" from Ray Bradbury?  It's not about
>    jokes in the first place, but somehow this discussion reminds me
>    of the book in a fatal way.

I read the book but I don't remember it too well.  I've never been too
impressed with Ray Bradbury as a writer, though.

Somehow, I don't think the book was about people insisting on the right
to store their books in your house where you might happen to trip over
them and see things that you don't agree with.

As I've said, this isn't about political correctness to me.  It's about
people's right to be offended and our responsibility not to unduly
surprise anyone.  I don't mind surprising people when there is a good
technical argument for it.  I don't think that cygwin's goal should be
to desensitize people to what is generally agreed to be bad language.

Maybe it's a slippery slope.  Maybe if this was a bunch of Hindus
complaining that fortune contained jokes about cows I would feel
differently.  I just don't think it is a good idea to surprise an
innocent person who is taking a casual stroll through
/usr/share/fortune.

cgf