This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: csh Shell
- From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
- To: Alexis Cothenet <cothenet at cppm dot in2p3 dot fr>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:26:41 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: csh Shell
- References: <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Alexis Cothenet wrote:
> I have installed cygwin but i see that my defautl shell (doing echo
> $SHELL) is bash. I would prefer to have csh shell. Do you know how i could
> proceed ?
Cygwin doesn't have pure csh, but it does have tcsh, which should be
To make it your "default" shell, you need to do two things:
1) Edit your /cygwin.bat and make it invoke "tcsh -l" instead of "bash
--login -i". That way, when you click on the Cygwin shortcut, you'll
2) Edit your /etc/profile, and change the shell entry from /bin/bash to
This should do it. HTH,
[*] There is a /bin/csh, but it's a Cygwin symlink, and you won't be able
to invoke it via Windows mechanisms.
|\ _,,,---,,_ email@example.com
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ firstname.lastname@example.org
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!
"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html