Re: Multiple installations and 3PPs (FAQ alert)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:51:38 -0500 (EST), Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

[]

| Should we, perhaps, provide a small 'uninstall' script, maybe in
| /usr/sbin, that would perform a umount and then use regtool to remove the
| registry key?  It could even be a .bat, which will enable it to delete all
| of Cygwin once the last Cygwin process exits...  A postinstall script
| could generate it, too, so that it contains explicit paths of the Cygwin
| root directory.  Something like
|
| ------ BEGIN gen-uninst.sh ------
| #!/bin/sh
| CYGDIR="`/bin/cygpath -aw /`"
| cat > /usr/sbin/uninstall.bat <<EOF
| $CYGDIR\\umount -s -A
| $CYGDIR\\umount -A
| copy $CYGDIR\\cygwin1.dll $CYGDIR\\regtool.exe %TEMP%
| $CYGDIR\\rm -rf /
| del /s $CYGDIR
| %TEMP%\\regtool remove "/HKLM/Software/Cygnus Solutions"
| %TEMP%\\regtool remove "/HKCU/Software/Cygnus Solutions"
| del %TEMP%\\cygwin1.dll %TEMP%\\regtool.exe
| EOF
| ------- END gen-uninst.sh -------

Looks good to me.

But perhaps an option to save the current mount points somewhere
would be useful in case the purpose of the uininstall is not removal
for it's own sake but removal in order to perform a clean install, with
subsequent restoration of the mount points.

In other words insert a mount -m command before the first umount.

--
<davidp />
DavidPostill