Moving to the Desktop

Can anybody help with a single keyboard command that would move the user to
the Desktop, usable across all systems? I've got as far as

   ~> cygpath -D
   /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/fergus/Desktop

   ~> cygpath -D | xargs ls        # demo: spaces are a pain
   ls: /cygdrive/c/Documents: No such file or directory
   ls: and: No such file or directory
   ls: Settings/fergus/Desktop: No such file or directory

   ~> cygpath -D | sed 's/ /\\ /g' # OK recover spaces
   /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/fergus/Desktop
   ~> cygpath -D | sed 's/ /\\ /g' | xargs ls
   Command Prompt.lnk  Signature.txt  desktop.ini

What I'm actually after is something like

   ~> cd `cygpath -D`

to move me to the Desktop (but that particular syntax fails). Any ideas?

Thanks.

Fergus