Re: Keeping cygwin updated on remote systems

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:

> I have about 20 systems that are either behind firewalls that I don't
> control or hardened so that my only access to them is via SSH.
>
> I am using OpenSSH installed with the Cygwin setup.exe program and
> configured with the included scripts.
>
> I also tunnel VNC through SSH to get a remote desktop when necessary.
>
> My problem is: how do I keep these systems updated since my only
> access is through the components I need to update?
>
> I am also trying to find a way to avoid manually connecting to each
> system to run setup.exe and then rebooting it so in-use files can be
> updated.
>
> Does anyone have any methods they use to handle this?

I take it a network drive for /bin, /lib, and /usr is not an option?

> The 20 systems should all be mostly identical.  So my first thought
> was to create a representative build in a test lab, keep it updated,
> and then batch an rsync over SSH of the files to the 20 systems
> identically up-to-date.
>
> How can I handle in-use files if I am not using setup.exe?
>
> I would love to hear any suggestions that anyone has.

The same way setup.exe handles them -- if replacement fails, schedule one
on reboot.  Someone posted a perl script for getting those out of the
on-reboot replacement list; I'm sure you can use similar techniques for
getting them on that list.

But I would go with the shared network drive approach, if at all possible.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT