Re: ./configure

configure scripts come with a specific package or source you are
trying to compile.  Usually these packages come in a .tar.gz or .bz2
file.  After extracting this, in the directory there may be a
configure script which would be executed by running ./configure and
this would optimize the make settings and other options for your
system (in this case cygwin).  If there is no configure file, then
just try typing make as the package doesnt contain one.