Re: Single Packaged Shell?

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 03:03:34PM -0500, John Westbrook wrote:
>I use cygwin for data analysis purposes for my employer. Up to this
>point, I have produced reports as my unit of output. However, my
>employer now wants to export my home-grown toolset to end users, which
>makes me an application vendor, not a data analyst.
>
>Aside from my anxiety over this sudden outbreak of scope creep (truly
>a disease), I am struggling to find out how to distribute a
>user-friendly version of my toolset to users who think that perl
>scripts grow inside shell scripts in the ocean.
>
>I have heard that you can compile perl code into c code, so I was
>wondering if anything similar exists for shell scripts or even cygwin
>itself. Ideally I would like to distribute an executable that uses a
>shell script as its entry point, but does not require a cygwin
>installation on the host.
>
>If there is some way to package the few standard programs I need
>(bash, perl, unzip, etc.) with my custom scripts, that would be
>acceptable as well. It cannot by too hackish, but I could do a
>reasonable amount of customization, as I am actually a programmer in
>disguise.
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can't help with the perl question but I do have to make my obligatory
observation that, if you are providing binaries to people, you must do
so under the terms of the GPL, i.e., you have to make sure that the
sources to any binaries (including cygwin1.dll) are made available to
the customer.

If you have further questions about this, the cygwin-licensing mailing
list is the place to ask.
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com