Re: Reuse of old downloded cygwin packages

Pradip Jadav wrote:
hello everybody..
I have a query regarding reuse of earlier downloaded packages...The
actual situation is like this..
Earlier I was having 6 GB hard Drive ,so i thought to replace my Hard
drive with 40 GB. I took backup of downloded and installed packages of
cygwin.. I was downloading in "D:\cygwin" and installed in
"c:\cygwin".In d:\cygwin there was a subfolder named
"http%3a%2f%2fsources-redhat.mirror.redwire.net%2fcygwin", where all
packages are present. Now I want to reuse it. So how to do that??
And another question is that whether I keep installed packages to
c:\cygwin or not in new hard drive??
thanx in advance...

So, you copied all of D:\cygwin to the new hard drive, right? Simply running D:\cygwin\setup.exe, and choosing to install from from local directory is all you need.

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think that what is recommended to have cygwin installed in the new drive is to do a complete install with setup, instead of merely copying the contents of c:\cygwin. After that, to restore your c:\cygwin\home files, well, just take the backup you made of that directory and replace the contents of the new home with them. Note that, if you have manually unpacked and installed any files outside home, you may have to reinstall them again.

This is what I would do, but beware, I haven't tried this for a while, and I may be wrong or missing details.

--
Paulo