Re: postgresql and sockets

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> I have the strange feeling that the file isn't recognized as socket
> anymore for some reason.  When you called `cat /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432',
> did you use Cygwin's cat?  If the file would have been recognized as
> socket, you shouldn't have been able to read the content of the file.
> The correct result would have been:
>
>   $ cat /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
>   cat: /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432: No such device or address

I used Cygwin's cat. The output above is what I get too when postgresql is
restarted.

> So I'm wondering if something happened before the call to psql, so that
> the file has been... well, "downgraded" to a normal file instead of a
> socket file.  Socket files have the system attribute set, for instance.
> If you remove this, the file is not recognized as socket file anymore.

I sent another email that didn't make it to the list somehow. The point
was that the socket file breaks after some time (about 10 minutes) no
matter if it was used at all. So I might as well restart postgres, wait 10
minutes, and it will be broken.

In the meantime this line will appear in the postgresql's log:

WARNING:  dup(0) failed after 3195 successes: Bad file descriptor

I'm not sure if it has anything to do.

> Are you set up to debug the DLL using GDB?  If you download the latest
> snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots and set a breakpoint to
> get_inet_addr, you could step through this function until it's left.
> The first interesting information would be, from which line the function
> is left.

At the moment I'm not ready to debug the DLL, but I'll try do to some
tests tomorrow.

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba