Re: copy paste, windows clipboard

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 02:51:00PM +0100, zzapper wrote:
> >Your access to the Windows/cygwin clipboard
>
> My access?  Are you snooping on me?
>
> >cat fred | putclip   # copy/paste
>
> How did you know about fred?  Get off of my computer!
>
> >getclip   # copy/paste
> >cat /dev/clipboard
> >echo hello > /dev/clipboard
> >
> >Have I missed anythinh?
> >Are putclip & getclip Cygwin specific?
>
> Yes?  No?  I don't know?
>
> What does this have to do with semi-aquatic mammals?

Heh?  What's so hard to understand?  "Fred" is the name of the hippo.
When you want the hippo to fetch Cyppy, the Cygwin paperclip mascot, you
give it the "getclip" command.  After you've cleaned up stray glass shards
and various broken objects after Fred's passage through the house, and you
want him to return Cyppy back to its place, you give the "putclip" command
(and take cover, of course -- those hippos can be quite enthusiastic).
When you take cover, your cat runs to /dev/clipboard, and meows "Hello"
from there (with an echo, since the clipboard is in the garage).

Oh, and "anythinh" is an exotic marsupial animal that can avoid the
enthusiastic hippo by climbing the walls.  The original poster, running
after Fred, has obviously missed it.

I think that about covers it...
	Igor
P.S. Oh, and Fred usually does a little victory dance when it fetches
Cyppy: <http://dessent.net/tmp/cyghippo.jpg>.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT