Sort - locale: cygwin_nt-5.0

I hope this is not a FAQ -- I duly checked FAQs and googled for a while. From some messages, I found that LOCALE is not supported by cygwin. Is this true also for the version I mention in the subject?
My problem is basically related to "sort": I tried to export LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE and LANG for French and Italian but to no success.

Is this possible under cygwin? I normally use Linux, but I installed cygwin on a computer of my University where I must use Windows.

Many thanks.
Guido, Italy

Guido Milanese               - gmilanese@mclink.it
Vocal Ensemble "Ars Antiqua" - http://www.arsantiqua.org