Re: How to install perl modules?

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 10:11:50PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> George wrote:
>
> >On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:55:59AM +0100, Jason Pearce wrote:
>
> >>Yes, use the CPAN module as Brian suggests. Just make sure
> >>environment variable PERLIO is unset when using -MCPAN, otherwise it
> >>will fail. (You might set this to CRLF for DOS compatibility
> >>purposes).  Also be aware that you may have trouble building some
> >>modules that use C code and have not been ported to Cygwin, mainly
> >>OS modules like WIN32.  Straight Perl modules should just work out
> >>of the box, and CPAN will get all pre-requisites for you too. You'll
> >>never want ppm again!
>
> >Sorry to go off on a slight tangent here, but is there any
> >documentation anywhere that describe which Win32 modules are
> >problematic, as it's most likely that for Cygwin users the Win32
> >modules are of particular interest, no?  And installing both Cygwin's
> >Perl and ActiveState's distribution can offer a less than
> >satisfactory solution as it presents its own set of problems.
>
> There is an up to date version of libwin32 as well as Win32CORE
> included in the perl distributed, it *should* be possible to build
> some (not all) of the Win32 modules, though I have not tried to build
> much of them.  Just try one or another if it is not already included
> with libwin32.

I guess I'll see how it goes, then.  The triumph of optimism over
experience.

To get this thread a bit back to topic, I do distinctly remember having
problems building several modules and encountered a mess of problems
that seemed as attributable to cpan as anything else, so I wrote off the
whole approach and went back to using ActiveState's Perl.  Now that I'm
relying solely on the Cygwin distribution, I'm finding everything thus
far going swimmingly well, and cpan indeed works as described above.

Again, thanks for the reply.

--
George