Re: Serious performance problems (malloc related?)

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 05:04:02PM -0700, Andy Ross wrote:
>Christopher Faylor quipped:
>> It seems pretty clear to me that if this is a really serious problem
>> for you then the best way to get it fixed is to gain more than zero
>> knowledge of cygwin.
>
>Gee, thanks.  Very helpful.  Can you at least type the commands in and
>verify the problem for me before you get snippy?  I said "zero
>knowlege" in an attempt to be modest*, but if you really want to get
>into a tussle about developer credentials, I'm happy to oblige.
>
>* I mean, come on: it's a 20 line program that shows a 15x performance
>  regression in a real-life, non-trivial application
>  (http://www.flightgear.org), takes all of 5 commands to verify that
>  can be copied right out of the source code, and even comes with a
>  (IMHO) pretty insightful guess as to where the problem might lie.
>  Most developers have erotic fantasies about this kind of bug report.

Gee, I'm sorry you thought I was being "snippy".  You apparently missed
that I was just providing you with some obvious advice.

You state that this is a "rather serious problem".  It seems like if this
was a really serious problem you'd be actively working towards solving it
rather than sending out email and hoping to get lucky.  If you think it
is malloc that is causing the problem then instrumenting malloc to prove
your assertion is not that much work.  Building the dll is probably not
five commands but it is not a heck of a lot more than that.

cgf