Re: Memory error with PDKSH 5.2.14-3?

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Thomas Baker wrote:

> Just wanted to report that I was seeing error messages such as the
> following in Korn shell scripts:
>
>      /home/tbaker/u/bin/urlists[50]: internal error: alloc: freeing
>      memory outside of block (corrupted?)
>
> By running the scripts in debug mode (set -x), I found that
> the problem seemed to occur when declared functions (i.e.,
> declared within the script) were invoked multiple times.
> The functions would work at first, then stop working --
> as if the functions somehow ate up the available memory.
>
> Since rolling back from 5.2.14-3 to 5.2.14-2, the problem
> seems to have gone away.
>
> I am not a programmer and do not have time to test this
> systematically but thought others on this list might want
> to hear about this.

Thanks for the report.  However:

I have no hope of reproducing this, do I?

AFAICS, the few changes from 5.2.14-2 to 5.2.14-3 that could have possibly
caused this are the fixes in the autoconf files.  I doubt the "struct
option" magic would matter, but it's possible, I guess, though by
eyeballing the code the two versions do look functionally equivalent.

It would help to have a script that demonstrates the problem.  I can't do
anything otherwise, sorry...

Igor Pechtchanski, the Cygwin pdksh volunteer maintainer
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT