Re: Login & Something diff since cygwin 1.5.15-1 release - could it be security changes that were made

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun  1 13:22, Brian Keener wrote:
> > I realize that login is not the normal mode of access for most Cygwin users and
> > that most use simply the cygwin.bat to start one of the shells.  I have my
> > cygwin.bat set to run login.exe which then runs the appropriate shell based on
> > the login I use - actually it starts several login sessions and depending on
> > the login I use (each unique to Cygwins passwd file ) it will run a different
> > shell (IE briank runs bash, briankt runs tcsh, briankz runs zsh).
> >
> > This also keeps some one who sits down at my machine from accidentally
> > accessing my cygwin install without knowing one of my logins or passwords.
> >
> > Up until 1.5.15-1 this worked perfectly and with 1.5.15-1 and since this has
> > changed.  Login runs but no matter what login or password I use - I am told it
> > is an incorrect login.  Simply rolling back to 1.5.14-1 corrects this and all
> > works as expected.  I notice in the release for 1.5.15-1
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2005-04/msg00022.html
> >
> > that there were several security changes (or at least what I perceive to be
> > security changes) and wonder if this could have affected my use of login.  Or
> > was the fact my use of login worked a fluke and that has since been corrected.
>
> There were a couple of security changes in recent releases.  What about
> 1.5.17?  Does it solve your problem?  I just tried using login using
> my own account and it works correctly.  You should carefully inspect
> your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files because recent changes are more
> sensitive to wrong entries, especially in relation to group settings.
>
> Corinna

Thanks for the response.  1.5.17 doesn't correct it either. I have tried each release
since 1.5.14 and and always end up rolling back to 1.5.14.  I even tried simply
accessing the bash prompt and then running login from there (without running it
directly from cygwin.bat) and it still says Login Incorrect .

Based on your results I will go back and review /etc/passwd and /etc/group as you
suggest and see what I can find.  I'm going to have to do a little digging it looks
like - I updated to 1.5.17, removed my passwd and group file and rebuilt using:

mkgroup -l >/etc/group
mkpasswd -l -p "/$HOME" >/etc/passwd

still won't login.  Then I rebuilt them with

mkgroup -d >/etc/group
mkpasswd -d -p "/$HOME" >/etc/passwd

but sill no luck either from cygwin.bat or just login from the shell prompt.  I'll
keep digging.  Not sure what to look at now though.

Thanks for the follow-up.

bk