Re: Any chance to get Apache 2.0.xx working on cygwin?

Carlo Florendo wrote:

Now that we're talking about apache 2 here, is there some chance we could include PHP as a module in apache? The apache-php-postgresql/mysql framework has been waiting for a long time in cygwin now. I remember around 2 years ago that the framework (at least with postgresql) used to be in cygwin.

Why not? If you or anyone is contributing PHP.

There is just one problem. PHP *can* compile in cygwin but the wrong thing is compiled. (I'm trying to configure PHP as a module that will load into apache) Doing a ./configure, make, runs with no errors. However, when doing a make install, here's what crops up:

$ make install
Installing PHP SAPI module:       apache
apxs:Error: file libs/libphp4.so is not a DSO
make: *** [install-sapi] Error 1

The thing is, libs/libphp4.so does not exist but only libs/libpp4.a

This is the problem, Cygwin is not supported from the PHP people. They use their own buildsystem instead of an automake/autoconf/libtool chain.

I remember someone saying before that there is a problem in libtool. However, I don't quite understand how libtool works.

Here's what the make warning says:

libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-pc-cygwin shared libraries

This usually means that the flag -no-undefined is missing. However, once you add this flag the mess begins.

If anyone could help me build php4 on cygwin, I would volunteer as its maintainer.

I got it compiled once, including shared modules, but it was too much work.

Try to understand how their build systems works and add the missing
bits, most work will be to get the changes included in the upstream
sources.

Thank you very much!

Gerrit
--