Re: FAQ request

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 12:49:32PM -0400, Thom DeCarlo wrote:

>> From: Christopher Faylor
>> Date: 2005/07/07 Thu PM 09:46:10 EDT
>> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>> Subject: FAQ request
>>
>> Could we split the "Why is your package so out of date?" question out of
>> the "Why isn't package XXXX available in Cygwin?" and add something like
>> the below?
>>
>> cgf
>>
>> Q) Why is your package XYZ so out of date?
>>
>> Q) Why is the version of package XYZ older than the version that
>> I can download from the XYZ web site?
>>
>> Q) Why is the version of package XYZ older than the version that
>> I installed on my linux system?
>>
>> Q) Is there something special about Cygwin which requires that only an
>> older version of package XYZ will work on it?
>>
>> Every package in the Cygwin distribution has a maintainer who is
>> responsible for sending out updates of the package.  This person is a
>> volunteer who is rarely the same person as the official developer of the
>> package.  If you notice that a version of a package seems to be out of
>> date, the reason is usually pretty simple -- the person who is
>> maintaining the package hasn't gotten around to updating it yet.
>>
>> If you urgently need an update, sending a polite message to the cygwin
>> mailing list pinging the maintainer is perfectly acceptable.  There are
>> no guarantees that the maintainer will have time to update the package
>> or that you'll receive a response to your request, however.
>>
>> Remember that the operative term here is "volunteer".
>>

>Hi Chris,
>Thanks for the info.  As I said in my question, I'm not the libtiff
>developer.  But since I use both libtiff and cygwin I am quite willing
>to help out in the advancement of both.
>
>Who is the libtiff maintainer for cygwin?  Or better yet, is there a
>list of package maintainers that we can search?
>
>Thanks, Thom
>
>OBTW, I *was* trying to be polite in my phrasing.  Sorry if it didn't
>come out sounding that way.

Huh?  This was a proposed *FAQ* entry, not a response to a mailing list
message.

In any event:

"If you urgently need an update, sending a polite message to the cygwin
mailing list pinging the maintainer is perfectly acceptable."

You've already done that.  Note that I didn't say that the next step is
for you to send personal email to someone.  We have mailing lists for
this type of communication.

I guess words to the effect should be part of the FAQ entry, too as
this seems to be a frequent source of confusion.

cgf