Re: rebaseall (was Re: Perl Win32::Shortcut screws up fork)

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 04:01:08PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 07:55:52AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> >On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:50:08PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> OTOH, writing a mingw C program to do what rebaseall does wouldn't
> >> be *that* hard.
> >
> >Agreed.
> >
> >I would like to go with this approach except rewrite rebaseall as a
> >Cygwin C program with the Cygwin DLL as its only dynamic dependency.
> >However, given my limited free time, it may be a while before I can
> >develop a C-based rebaseall.  So, what is the best short-term
> >solution?  Should I just release a new package with the following
> >patch:
> >
> >    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-07/msg00319.html
> >
> >applied?
>
> How about if for now you just make it an ash script (meaning that it
> relies on ash) and use your technique of checking for other cygwin
> processes running?  If "we" are going to make this a program anyway,
> eventually, then I don't mind just using your technique which is
> really more foolproof than mine.  No matter how this is implemented,
> checking that no cygwin processes are running before running rebaseall
> has to be a good idea.

I'm glad we agreed.  I will implement the above.

> If we do make this a program, maybe it should just be an extension to
> rebase itself: "rebase --all" ?

Exactly!  Right after my previous post, I started to investigate
enhancing rebase to support rebaseall functionality.  I quickly realized
that this change would not require too much effort.

I will also enhance rebase so if it is invoked as rebaseall, then the
"--all" option is implied.

So, it sounds like we have short and long term plans.  Now, I just have
to work 'em.

Thanks,
Jason