Error running gcc ("No such file or directory" error for as.exe)

Hi,

Forgive me if this in the archives - I searched on various terms but could
not find anything similar.

I have a problem where I am running gcc (from make) and I get the following
error:
	gcc: installation problem, cannot exec
'/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe':
No such file or directory

What is odd is that there is no doubt that this file (as.exe) exists.
If I do:
	ls -l
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe
the file is listed as expected with full execute permissions set.

If I try, from the command line, to execute the file, I get the following:
1) If I am in the directory itself (which equates to
/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin), I can execute the file.
2) If I am in any other directory, I can see the file, but I cannot execute
it (again get the "No such file or directory" error).

Please help!

Thanks,
James Beard.

 ###  OXFORD INSTRUMENTS   http://www.oxford-instruments.com/  ###

Unless stated above to be non-confidential, this E-mail and any
attachments are private and confidential and are for the addressee
only and may not be used, copied or disclosed save to the addressee.
If you have received this E-mail in error please notify us upon receipt
and delete it from your records. Internet communications are not secure
and Oxford Instruments is not responsible for their abuse by third
parties nor for any alteration or corruption in transmission.