Re: autoconf problem on cygwin

Actually, checking the output of the makefile/configure would not have
helped me.  The reason is that I and a few of my coworkers use
aclocal/autoconf in maintaining some software packages.  When I upgraded
Cygwin (admittedly the last Cygwin we were using is 2 years old), one of
the things that I needed to check is that the development tools still
work for us.  Therefore, I wasn't trying to rebuid a configure for a
cygwin package but one that I maintain.

Secondly, how was I to know that running setalternatives for automake
would solve the problem. After all as far as I could tell the problem
was with autoconf.  I didn't expect the problem to be in a different
package than the one that appeared to have a problem.

The version that I have been told to specify is the oldest in the list
for automake and I was runing an autoconf command.  What should have
clued me that I would have to set the version to the oldest automake in
the list?

The reason I asked the question "... how was I to know ..." was so that
I would know how to diagnose the problem.

Either way, I do want to thank you and Larry for your answers.  They
were both helpful.  I haven't tried the suggested solution yet but plan
on doing so tomorrow morning.

sps