RE: Cygwin.dll crash, alloca and custom stack

>All major languages in use today have a runtime - C is no different. On
UNIX/Linux, its mostly (if not always)
>called libc (glibc being the GNU variant used on most Linux systems).

Well I don't think of libc as part of the C language proper because I spent
a number of years programming in a version of C that didn't have any of the
normal functions one normally associates with libc, like printf and all
those other functions you'll find in the ansi standard. libc doesn't
implement any of the features of the C language proper, unlike other
languages that have a "runtime" that implements actual language features
like garbage collectors, object systems and so on. libc is an optional
library that you can choose to use or not use in your C program. If you want
to include the standard library as part of "C", then I suppose you could say
it is a runtime, but that kindof makes "runtime" a meaningless term, when it
includes pedestrian stuff like atoi.