Re: Snapshots are now stripped again

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 02:06:47PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>I'll be making the .dbg file available when I make the formal cygwin
> >>release also, either in the source tarball or as a separate package.
> >>
> >>The split of debug information into a separate file reflects a change
> >>to the way the Cygwin DLL is now generated by the makefile in
> >>winsup/cygwin.  Debug information will no longer be part of the DLL
> >>itself, but will, instead, only be included in the .dbg file.  There is
> >>a technical reason which prompted this change which I won't go into
> >>here, but I think the minor inconvenience of keeping the debug info in
> >>a separate place outweighs the benefits of keeping the debug info out
> >>of the DLL and making it available as a separate download.
> >
> >I noticed that the .dbg file is not part of the cygwin-inst-* tarballs.
> >Does this mean that it's not generated by the default make rule, or
> >that it's explicitly removed before generating the installation
> >tarball?
>
> It means that it is not meant to be installed by default.
>
> If you need it, download it separately.
>
> cgf

Thanks, I understood that.  I was asking a different question, though: if
a developer checked out the latest Cygwin from CVS and built it, would the
build produce the .dbg file (as it used to produce an unstripped DLL), or
would she have to invoke "make smth" separately to create it?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu