Re: Permissions, again

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:

> > chmod, and other POSIX programs know nothing about ACLs (which is where
> > inheritance is specified).  You should, however, be able to use
> > "getfacl/setfacl" to do what you want.
>
> Hm...  It seems that (get|set)facl do allow detailed permissions to be
> set, but what I really need is the inherited property/attribute/whatever
> to be set, as these files need to have permissions matching those of
> their final destinations.

I thought that was what the various "mask" ACLs did, but someone more
familiar with ACLs and getfacl/setfacl needs to chime in here...

> It's okay to tell me "Don't be absurd!" but I haven't heard it yet :-)

You can also try "cacls" and whatever the equivalent ACL modification tool
is from Microsoft.

> Incidentally, while I was using the ntsec default for permissions,
> all this stuff worked correctly...

You mean "nontsec", don't you?  In "nontsec" mode, Cygwin lets Windows
handle the file ACLs, which results in inherited permissions.

> Also, with umask set to 077, a file I create with "touch" will end up
> with NT permissions for read and write, but not execute, as well as
> numerous other types of permissions.

I believe POSIX mandates that "touch" use permissions 0666&~umask for new
files (i.e., the execute bits in the umask are ignored).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu