Re: Very basic version command

Thanks, Igor --

I have not yet been able to make cygcheck work, but I did find out about the pkg-config command. This command uses the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to find the library information for a particular library. That path identifies a directory full of .po files. There is a .po file for each library. So, if you know the library name, the pkg-config command would be something like pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0 ... and out comes all of the cool metadata in command line format all ready to feed into g++.

And then the trick is to track down the precise name for the library of interest. I did that by scanning for all of the .po files, and then figuring out the name of the library I was really interested in. In my case, for librsvg, it is librsvg-2.0. So, here's what I did and what I got:

$ pkg-config --cflags librsvg-2.0
-I/usr/local/include/librsvg-2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0

OK OK ... so as far as getting the version, I guess that the version is encoded in the name, which I found by scanning the .po files.

Anything is easy once we already know the answer.

Woof.

I'm guessing that cygcheck couldn't work for librsvg because it's not a cygwin library and not in the cygwin registry ... a naive guess ... maybe it's right??

Thanks.

At 03:31 PM 9/5/2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Barry Demchak wrote:

> Hi, all --
>
> Sorry for submitting something so silly.
>
> Question: What is the command for finding out the version of a library
> installed on Cygwin?

It's easy to find out the version of an official Cygwin package that
supplies a given library.  If you know the name of the package (say,
"libfoo"), simply run "cygcheck -cd libfoo".  If you don't know the
package that supplies it, but know the name of the library (say,
/usr/lib/libfoo.a), run "cygcheck -f /usr/lib/libfoo.a" -- it will tell
you both the package and the version.

> I'm trying to find out what version of the librsvg library I'm using.

AFAICS, there is no librsvg in the cygwin distribution.  If it was a typo,
the above recipe should work for the actual library name.  If you actually
do have a librsvg on your machine, I don't know of a general way to do
what you want.
HTH,
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_                pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'           Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL     a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!