RE: Documentation on functions

Is there "documentation on the documentation"?

In other words, is the process of submitting documentation documented? Does
one use the GNU texi or SGML docbook or some other format? I've been curious
about these tools for years but have never used them.

Are there any functions documented (and I just had the bad luck of picking
the only three that were not documented) or do they all need to be
documented? (Yikes! That could be a big job)!

Is it a simple matter of cutting and pasting from linux (e.g. fedora) man
pages or does one have to go to the source code and extract the copious
comments there and just reformat them into man pages?

Siegfried