Re: Bug: Setup tool doesn't respect managed mountpoints/filesystems

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > Which was what I said in the part you snipped.
>
> My skimming skills are not great today.  :(

No problem...

> > > Repeat for "readme" vs. "Readme" and every other of billions of
> > > permutation of case.  I see no way this wouldn't turn into a nightmare.
> >
> > Huh?  Why would you need to try *all* the permutations?
>
> I guess I was conflating the fact that the *current* implementation
> leaves lower-case and only encodes upper-case / special characters /
> reserved words with the *proposed* implementation that would have to
> either encode everything or encode nothing.

If either everything or nothing is encoded, that's only 2 possibilities.
I originally thought that it would be enough to encode the differing
characters, but therein lies madness, as you observed.

> > Which may or may not be considerable (and no, I don't have
> > measurements to back it up).  There is another overhead, and that is
> > of a human trying to look at the directory with Windows tools.  Yes,
> > encoding is unavoidable, but it shouldn't be obnoxious.
>
> I know it's armchair quarterbacking but it seems to me like urlencoding
> a filename (requiring no system calls, just string processing) would
> have a lot less overhead than having to do double the number of calls to
> CreateFile for nearly every file operation.

Not "nearly every file operation", only in case clashes are present...

> As far as the human-readable aspect goes, I consider managed mounts as
> only being required in special or rare circumstances, and so I see
> having uppercase letters fudged in Explorer is a price one can pay.

Isn't this what started this thread?  Explorer isn't the only Windows
program that may inadvertently access (and get confused by) managed
mounts.  Setup is a much more important one.

Besides, I can see the utility of, say, making /usr/src a managed mount
(though only for non-official Cygwin packages, since the official ones had
better have all their source files in the right case).

> Don't the majority of filenames consist of lowercase letters anyway?
> Those would remain untouched to native tools.

You must have missed the fact that nearly every source tarball contains a
Makefile[.in]...  :-)  Besides, look in /usr/share/doc/...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu