RE: Automake version 1.4 in CygWin vs. current Automake 1.9.2 ...

Thanks -- my version was installed from "setup" and is
(theorectically) up to date but shows:

$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6

I have never installed another version manually; until
today I had never even tried.

(Investigating setup...)

In setup there were 5 versions listed as installed, the
1.4 and 1.6.x, 1.7.x, 1.8.x, 1.9.6-2

I told it to uninstall all but the latter and to re-install
that one.

It gave me a warning about 1.4 being required by the stable
version -- re-running version gives the same results:

$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6

Since automake was a like to 1.4, I removed the link and
re-added it to point to 1.9.6.

This portion of my problem is solved but I thought
the explanation might help others.

Thanks for the help.

--
Herb