Re: Setup error: "URL Scheme not registered!"

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, cygwin.overbored wrote:

> I'm setting up Cygwin. I downloaded files to one machine, and I want to
> install over the network to another machine (I don't have enough space
> for both the pre- and post-install files on the target machine).
> However, when I run setup on the other machine, as soon as it starts
> copying files, I get this error:
>
> Fatal Error: Uncaught Exception
> Type: St16invalid_argument
> Message: URL Scheme not registered!
>
> I Googled for previous information about this. It seems that I needed to
> move the setup.ini file aside. I tried this, but that wipes out the list
> of packages when I re-run setup.exe. What gives? Thanks in advance for
> any help.

What mode are you running setup in?  From the above comment, it looks like
you're trying to do an "Install from local directory".  Do you get the
same errors when doing a full "Install from internet"?  Did you read
Joshua's response about the log files?

As for the message, setup has a few places where the error messages aren't
as descriptive as we'd like them to be.  I'm (slowly) fixing those.  Can
you try to use the following version of setup (compiled by me) that has a
more descriptive message and tell me what the exception says now?  It's at
<http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe>.  I'll also
submit an official patch with the better error message.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I'd like to reply to Art here, as well...

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Arthur I Schwarz wrote:

> On 9/24/05, wrote:

Your reply broke threading and contains no information about the OP.
Furthermore, your quoting methods make it hard to distinguish your reply
from the message you're replying to.

> A little history:
> 1. About 18 months ago I received the same error message and requested
>    support.
> 2. The support received then is much as the support you have received.

It's been 5 days -- give us a break.  We're all volunteers here.
Besides, when you posted your message, I believe you got a reference on
how to structure local install directories.

> [snip]
> You can expect no support. You will, after a short while, start to
> receive sarcastic comments from the developers. You will be blamed for
> your problem.

No, you will be blamed for your attitude.

> You will be directed to information of no value in determining what is
> wrong.

Except for the advice to debug setup.  On your system.  Where you can
actually reproduce the problem.  Oh, the gall of those developers!

> The only recourse seems to be a complete rebuild.
>
> Don't give up on the product because of the failure and (as you will
> see) lack of any appropriate response. It is worth your while to
> start from scratch and rebuild Cygwin - don't forget to remove the
> register entries.
>
> Other than that, it's a great system. It really is. I have been using
> the Cygwin from about 1995/6 at home. All of the developers (except
> maybe the setup crew) do a wonderful job. They are impressive in their
> attempts to find what is wrong, even if it's their problem, and to fix
> it. And, they are helpful. However, the setup build fiasco was so
> frustrating that I've let the experts do the build, leaving myself to
> just do the complaining.

Which you do very well.  The "setup crew" are volunteers.  As you've
discovered, setup is a complex beast, and nobody has the time to fully
understand it.  We do what we can.  Note that I'm not the setup
maintainer, and don't speak for him.

When you failed to build setup, I don't recall you posting any details of
the errors you got (if you have, please post a link to the message with
those details).  Setup builds just fine for me and others.  It does
require a working gcc/autotools installation.  We are always glad to have
people help us with setup, and are willing to help resolve minor build
idiosyncracies, but won't train people in the use of the compiler.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu