Cygwin xfig eps problem

I'm using xfig (3.2.4 - from a recent (last week) Cygwin install) in
Cygwin on Windows XP Home with NTFS filesystem. I'm having trouble
with importing EPS files into xfig using the "Picture Object" command.
I can import 1 EPS file without problem. However, when I try to import
a second (different) EPS file into the same xfig figure, I get an
error:

"GPL Ghostscript 8.15: **** Could not open the file /tmp/xfig-pic000208.pix"

Initially, I got a similar error whenever the path to my EPS file, OR
the path to my cygwin temp directory contained a space. At that time
it was more of an issue with using cygwin. But now I can import a
single EPS file without fail, every time, and the second and all
subsequent import attempts will fail.

From my investigations to date, it seems that xfig calls ghostscript in
order to generate the on-screen preview image that one sees with xfig.
This process works perfectly for the first EPS import, and I can see
the "xfig-pic000208.pix" file in my system temp directory (although I
cannot access it in any way). From looking at some of the source code,
the "000208" suffix would appear to be coming from the xfig process
ID, which is going to remain the same throughout a single xfig
session, making me think that every eps file import after the first
one tries to write a preview image over the first preview image.

I tried the same thing from a Knoppix distribution (same xfig
version), and everything worked fine. I could not find a .pix file
remaining in my /tmp directory after the EPS import. Therefore, it
seems likely that either xfig or gs is not "clearning up" correctly
after generating the pix file. Possibly a filesystem/permissions
issue, since executing a 'ls' command in the /tmp directory yields:

"ls: xfig-pic001372.pix: No such file or directory"

Any help would be most appreciated. (Ultimately, I'd like to be able
to combine more than one EPS file and mark them up with psfrag tags
for export and use in LaTeX documents.)

Thanks,
Mike