From: Eric Blake [mailto:ericblake@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:29 PM
To: Sarcar, Shourya C (GE Healthcare); cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: CPU usage issue with bash

> Bash seems to be taking up a lot of CPU resources for me. It peaks to
> 100% for lengthy spans of around 20-30 seconds.
> On NT systems (with an older cygwin) I notice peaks to around 70-80%
> for shorter durations of time.
> Is this a known issue with bash ?
> I found this on the archives.
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-03/msg01114.html

That message was for a much older configuration.  Perhaps the issue has
been fixed since then, but since you did not attach cygcheck.out for us
to determine your configuration, I can't tell if you need to upgrade.

> Is there any documentation on the minimum recommended hardware
> configuration for Cygwin ?

If I understand right, cygwin uses assembly instructions that won't work
on a 386.  But beyond that, if you have a machine that can run Win95,
then you can run cygwin (although it may be painfully slow).  I
regularly run cygwin on a 266 MHz Pentium Pro, Win98 (although I much
prefer more modern machines).

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin bash maintainer