boost program_options library with cygwin

Hi,
I have a problem when using the boost::program::options library
under cygwin in conjunction with building a application which
I compile with the "-mno-cygwin -mwindows" options.

I get a "undefined reference error to _environ" at link time.
I guess the problem arised because boost libraries (version 1.33)
was built as an cygwin application and I want build a pure windows
application with this library.
On the other hand I already linked another boost library (boost::filesystem)
against my application and got no error ?!

I now built the boost libraries under mingw by myself and got a
boost_program_options-gcc-1_33.dll and boost_program_options-gcc-mt-1_33.lib.
I replaced the cygwin libboost_program_options-gcc-mt-s.a with my
boost_program_options-gcc-mt-1_33.lib (renamed boost_program_options-gcc-mt-1_33.lib
to libboost_program_options-gcc-mt-s.a), copied the dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32
and it worked !

This is of course nice but can someone give an explanation ?

Thomas