RE: Practical method for automatic Cygwin install?

There's currently not a great way to do that.  Somebody just asked the same
question(s), see that thread.

> 2) If cygwin is already installed, what optional packages are
> present? What versions?

If I read another thread right, there may or may not be a way to do this in
the near future, assuming you've got #1.

> 3) If cygwin is NOT installed, how do we install it, without
> setup.exe prompts?  (I have a gut feeling that it's a bit
> more complicated than just untarring packages.)

I believe this can now be done with sufficiently-doctored setup.ini files.
I've never tried it myself.

> 4) If cygwin is installed, but some optional packages need
> version upgrades, how do we accomplish that?

Via the normal means, i.e. the Cygwin setup utility.

> Probably any developer who has tried to release software for
> the cygwin environment has thought about this.  Users demand
> absolute automation of the installer; I can't tell them to do
> stuff like:
>
> "This package requires cygwin. Please go install Cygwin from
> www.cygwin.com, and click Retry when you're finished."

When all is said and done, I rather suspect you're going to have to.

> Nope, that would not be acceptable; it MUST be automatic! But
> apparently Cygwin's setup utility cannot be automated, only
> GUI-based.  Surely there are ways for installers like mine to
> install cygwin without having to worry about the messy
> details.  Or maybe not.  Does anyone know?

I do.  There's no software that's ever been written that didn't have to
worry about "the messy details," and installing Cygwin and a bunch of
utilities in a manner which is not officially supported is probably at the
top of that list.  It sounds to me that what you really should do is release
your software as a Cygwin package, and then work on adding the functionality
you need to Cygwin's setup.exe.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle