This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
when using run.exe, ssh zombie process running after command has finished
- From: "Rob Siklos" <rob2 at siklos dot ca>
- To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:05:40 -0500
- Subject: when using run.exe, ssh zombie process running after command has finished
(using the latest Cygwin as of today)
I use the following command line (via a shortcut on my desktop) to open a
window to my linux box:
run.exe ssh snoopy "export DISPLAY=%COMPUTERNAME%:0.0; xterm"
It works great.
However, I just noticed that when I exit the xterm (with CTRL-D, or by
typing "exit"), the ssh process is still running in the background.
1) This problem only happens when running from a Windows shortcut or in
cmd.exe. Running the above command in a cygwin bash shell doesn't cause any
2) This problem only happens when running inside the run.exe container.
Calling ssh directly doesn't leave the zombie processes
As a workaround, I can use:
bash -c "run.exe ssh snoopy 'export DISPLAY=%COMPUTERNAME%:0.0; xterm'"
but then I get a black window pop up (just for a second).
Although a workaround exists, this still looks like a bug. I don't know
enough to fix something like this, but if anyone wants more information, I'd
be glad to provide it.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html