Re: Inconvenient ghostscript and transfig dependences

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:24:56PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Sorry but there is currently no way to represent "either/or" dependencies
> via "setup.exe" (PTC).  That said, there's no reason that you can't override
> "setup.exe" and not install gs-no-X11.  If you know that's what you want,
> then you should feel free to do so.  If your gripe is that "setup.exe" will
> try to install gs-no-X11 each time you run it, you should feel free to
> manually edit /etc/setup/install.db to include the package name and an
> impossibly high version number to fool "setup.exe" into thinking you
> already have a version installed that is more current than what it has
> available to it.

This keeps getting advocated, but in my testing it does *not* work.
If you have found otherwise, or see somewhere in the source for setup
where this is supposedly implemented, please give some detailed
information.

But AFAICT, setup seems to have no concept of higher/lower version
numbers, nor do I see how setup *could* understand the variety of
version numbers out there.  Which is higher, 20030307 or 1.875?
2.5.4a or 2.5.4?  2.8.0 or 2.10.1?  These all involve assumptions
that may or may not be true.