This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: gcc crash (memory?)
- From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit at familiehaase dot de>
- To: "Dan Stratila" <dstrat at MIT dot EDU>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:50:07 +0100
- Subject: Re: gcc crash (memory?)
- References: <000601c60d17$22137ff0$43055f12@somerville>
- Reply-to: "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit at familiehaase dot de>
> Hi Gerrit,
>> Increase the size of your swap file, for me the maximum memory usage
>> compiling this file was not much more than 1 GB. I have a 2 GB swap
> Thanks for your reply. I have a 2GB swap file too (and 768MB RAM), and it
> doesn't seem to help. Moreover, as I mentioned, I was able to allocate 1.7GB
> with a test program, so I don't think it's the actual lack of memory that's
> killing it.
> I also tried to compile this repeatedly, and it always dies in the same spot
> with the same error, so I don't think it's a hardware issue either.
> What version of gcc did you use?
I use gcc 3.4.4. I have also this famous registry key defined:
In "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin" define a DWORD named
heap_chunk_in_mb and set the value to 1024 (decimal) or 400 (hex) or
This may require a reboot to take affect.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html