This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.8.7-5
- From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit at familiehaase dot de>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:24:05 +0100
- Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.8.7-5
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Perl has been updated to 5.8.7-5
- This is a bugfix release which includes the official patch for the
security issue reported here:
NEWS in previous release 5.8.7-4:
- inc_version_list="5.8/cygwin 5.8 cygwin" added to Policy.sh to work
around an @INC problem reported here:
- modules updated/version: Archive-Tar-1.26, IO-String-1.07,
Proc-ProcessTable-0.40, Compress-Bzip2-2.09, Compress-Zlib-1.41
- new module included: Text-Diff-0.35
- perldoc.com seems to be down, new website with docs is now available
This (5.8.7-3) is a bugfix release:
- Test::Harness problem when running testsuites for modules from
the command line where every second test breaks, this should
work ok now.
- Using the system malloc() now because the perl malloc()
implementation caused perl to crash when more than 384 MB memory
- Now using --enable-auto-image-base to link DLL and extensions.
This should address the problem with loading extension DLLs in
- New builtin functions:
- Configured with -Dusesitecustomize. See also "-f" in perlrun:
Extensions already included in this distribution:
Official Perl 5.8.7 announcement:
5.8.7 is a maintenance release for perl 5.8, incorporating various
minor bugfixes and optimisations. Please see the perldelta
the full details. Please report bugs using the perlbug utility. If the
build or regression tests fail, make nok. If the build fails to early
to run this, please mail perlbug at perl.org directly.
As always, you should conduct an appropriate level of testing before
using any new product in your production environment.
Canonical website: http://www.perl.org/
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Save it and run setup, answer the questions and pick up
'perl' from the 'Interpreters' category, if you install it for the
first time, click on the 'skip' field next to 'perl' until '5.8.7-5'
Note that downloads from sources.redhat.com (aka cygwin.com) aren't
allowed due to bandwidth limitations. This means that you will need
to find a mirror which has this update, please choose the one nearest to
If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing
list is the appropriate place.
CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO:
To unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look at the
"List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message. Send
email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
Gerrit P. Haase
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html