Re: executable = exe + data

> * Brian Dessent <oevna@qrffrag.arg> [2005-12-31 15:46:50 -0800]:
>
> Sam Steingold wrote:
>
>> Is it possible?
>>
>> simply put, it it possible to write something like this:
>>
>> int main () {
>>   size_t my_length;
>>   <some magic>
>>   printf("exe size=%lld\n",my_length);
>>   return 0;
>> }
>
> All the methods mentioned so far are essentially hacks working against
> the linker, doing stuff behind its back.  Why not go with the flow?
> Put your data in its own section, and write a linker script to handle
> that section in the desired way.  You can access the address by
> referencing the linker script variables in your source code.  See
> section 3 of the ld manual, particularly 3.5.3.  This should work on
> any platform that uses ld.

the problems with this is that the "data" that is being appended is not
known at link time and appending it may not require C tools (ld/gcc &c).

http://www.jihadwatch.org/ http://www.mideasttruth.com/ http://pmw.org.il/
http://ffii.org/ http://www.palestinefacts.org/ http://www.dhimmi.com/
Ph.D. stands for "Phony Doctor"  - Isaak Asimov, Ph.D.