Re: setup crashes trying to install xorg-x11-fnts

On 1/10/2006 8:28 PM, Igor Peshansky wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, David Rothenberger wrote:

Setup is crashing for me (Windows "unexpected error" window) when I try
to reinstall xorg-x11-fnts.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Which setup version? Which OS? Which version of xorg-x11-fnts are you trying to reinstall? Which mirror are you using? Are you using "Install from Local Directory" or "Install from Internet"? We need details.

Setup version 2.513. Windows XP Pro (as administrator). The latest version of xorg-x11-fnts (6.8.1.0-3). Mirror is http://mirrors.kernel.org. Install is "Install from Internet".

At least once, setup said my local copy of the package was corrupt and then exited. I've tried removing my local copy but that makes no difference.

Any ideas how to fix this?

It would be best if we found why setup doesn't work for you (whatever it does, it shouldn't crash). It could be triggered by a corrupt setup.ini file, a corrupt local package cache, or anything else. If you can build setup locally with debugging symbols, invoke it via gdb, and get a backtrace, that would be great. I can also send you a debug version if you wish, but to debug it locally, you'll need the sources anyway.

Okay, I'll try that when I have some time and report back.

Or, is there any way I can manually reinstall xorg-x11-fnts so I have a
working X11 installation again?

If nothing works, however, you can do the following:

1. Download release/X11/xorg-x11-fnts/xorg-x11-fnts-6.8.1.0-3.tar.bz2 from
some mirror (I use mirrors.kernel.org with good results).
2. cd / && tar xjf xorg-x11-fnts-6.8.1.0-3.tar.bz2
3. cd /etc/postinstall && ./xorg-x11-fnts.sh
4. Edit /etc/setup/installed.db and add this line:

xorg-x11-fnts xorg-x11-fnts-6.8.1.0-3.tar.bz2 0

(in alphabetically sorted order).

Thanks. I may try that to get up and going again before I try with a self-built setup.

--
David Rothenberger                spammer? -> spam@daveroth.dyndns.org
GPG/PGP: 0x92D68FD8, DB7C 5146 1AB0 483A 9D27 DFBA FBB9 E328 92D6 8FD8

comment:
        A superfluous element of a source program included so the
        programmer can remember what the hell it was he was doing
        six months later.  Only the weak-minded need them, according
        to those who think they aren't.