Re: Segment fault/Bus error with Singular

Sorry, I don't understand your reply, either.

To put it very simply: To intstall the snapshot:

(1) Where do I put the downloaded snapshot files?

   (2) Do I run the 4 listed commands from a Windows command prompt,
       or instead from within Cygwin.

I will greatly appreciate straightforward answers to these perfectly simple and straightforward questions.

Dave Korn wrote:
Murray Eisenberg wrote:

Unfortunately, the instructions in FAQ # 2.15 "How do I install
snapshots?" is not completely clear.  It says that one should first
close all Cygwin applications and shells.  But then it says to "run" a
sequence of commands:

  cd /
  tar .......
  cd /tmp
  tar ......

Now given that I was supposed to exit Cygwin, presumably these commands
are to be run from a Windows command prompt.

But then to what does root directory "/" refer?  To the Cygwin root?
And if so, where should I have put the downloaded
cygwin-inst-YYMMDD.tar.bz2 ?  And if "/" does not refer to the Cygwin
root, to what does it refer?

If the commands are to be run within Cygwin, on the other hand, then
that would seem to contradict the first instruction, namely, to close
all Cygwin applications and shells.

The instructions say

 [... Few paras of intro ...]
  1.  Download the snapshot, and run [... series of commands ...]
  2.  After closing all cygwin apps, [ .... do something ...]

Just because the intro section at the top refers in advance to one of the
steps of the procedure doesn't mean you're supposed to do the steps of the
procedure out-of-order!

cheers, DaveK