Re: find reports an internal system loop on cygdrive

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Linda. A. Walsh wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:

> > > The logic is that /dev should be a real directory, to allow stuff
> > > like creating the /dev/log unix domain socket when running syslogd,
> > > or for instance symlinks like /dev/tape -> /dev/st0 as expected by
> > > mt(1).
> > >
> > > If /dev is an emulated only directory, both of the above examples
> > > would fail.
> >
> > FWIW, you can have /dev as a real directory populated by virtual devices.
> > 	Igor
>
> Ok...sounds logical.
> The warning message about the duplicate inode may be
> confusing for those not used to seeing it.  I haven't
> figured out a way around it (I've had the message for
> a long time as I have my 'cygdrive' prefix mapped to "/").

As Eric said, using -xdev should do it at the cost of not recursing into
the drive roots (it'll have the same effect as removing the real /cygdrive
directory had in earlier Cygwin versions, which, of course, was not
possible with your setup).

BTW, you ought to get the same warning on Linux if you have weird mount
structure, e.g.,

/local/users/test on /u/test type none (rw,bind)
/local/users on /u/test/users type none (rw,bind)

(I don't know if the Linux "mount" will allow creating such loops,
though).
HTH,
	Igor
--