Re: Prompt issue within cygwin

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Zach Gelnett wrote:

> On 1/23/06, Zach Gelnett <zachg99@XXXXX.XXX> wrote:
> > On 1/23/06, Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@XX.XXX.XXX> wrote:

Again, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Let's not feed the
spammers.

> [snip]
> I do have one final question.
>
> If I set PS1 like this:
>
>  PS1="\[\033]61;\w\007\]\u@\h:\w\\$ "
>
> Everything works great, no issues at all, what is expected is what is
> displayed.
>
> Now, when i make only a slight modification as such:
>
> PS1="\[\033]61;\u@\H\007\]\u@\h:\w\\$ "
>
> all the sudden i have a duplicate space after my prompt as in:
>
> v468929@TRD-CAX40JXD:~$  ls db2Mgr.
>
> that goes away when i hit the tab complete button to show me my options:
>
> v468929@TRD-CAX40JXD:~$  ls db2Mgr.
> db2Mgr.C  db2Mgr.h
> v468929@TRD-CAX40JXD:~$ ls db2Mgr.
>
> I'm trying to get this prompt to work:
>
> PS1="\[\033]61;\u@\H\007\]\u@\H \W>"
>
> but the issue there is that the > is duplicated (just like the space
> above, but much more noticable).  Any ideas as to why making the title
> modification to use \u@\H instead of \w is causing these issues?

There is a prompt bug in bash that causes it to miscount the number of
displayed characters.  One workaround was to append '\[\]' to PS1.  Also,
a good habit to get into is to use single quotes in the shell when some
value contains backslashes.

However, I can't reproduce your problem on my system (I only see one '>'
with the above PS1 setting).  I don't believe you've posted the
information requested in the problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html> in this thread...  Please attach the
output of "cygcheck -svr" so that we can find out, among other things,
what version of bash you are using, as well as what else is different in
our setups.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/