Re: Need information about data and bss segment address access in cygwin

Brian,
      From your comments I understand that dll data/bss segment
address is same as that of process data/bss segment
address(data_start, data_end, bss_start and bss_end) when the process
is loaded. Is that right

Sudha

----------------------------
   * From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
    * To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
    * Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:35:20 -0800
    * Subject: Re: Need information about data and bss segment address
access in cygwin

Sudhahar wrote:

> Thanks Cliff/Dave. I could not find the code where the dll data/bss
> segments address are updated in cygwin. But in the fork code we are
> doing a copy for all linked and loaded dlls data/bss segments by
> giving the address as

There is no code to update them.  As the other replies have already
said, they act like labels and are established by the linker via the
linker script.  When the program runs, they contain the address, that's
it.  The values in the per_process struct are filled in by the startup
code in _cygwin_crt0_common.cc.

> And also please let me know if there exist any document which gives
> some idea about this.

The 'ld' manual, section 3.5.3.

Brian